GDC Business Plan & Strategy
The provision of reliable and affordable electric energy is indispensable to the social and economic development of any country. In Kenya, electricity is at the core of Vision 2030 – a development plan that seeks to steer this country towards being a mid-income economy in the next 20 years. For Vision 2030 to materialize, Kenya needs more than 10,000 MWe, of this, a minimum of 5000 MWe is expected to come from the geothermal resources.
Kenya's geothermal potential is in excess of 7000 MWe, spread in more than 14 locations. This opens new investment opportunities from supply of equipment to construction of power plants; the plannned developments are enormous and GDC is committed to facilitate and stimulate investor entry.
Key to the realization of GDC’s mandate is the efficient and effective mobilization of funds from both private and public sources, early acquisition of drilling rigs and acceleration of the human capacity building program.
The objective of our ten year plan is to :
- Facilitate the realisation of at least 3,000 MWe in ten years and at least 5,000MWe by 2030 through an accelerated geothermal development program.
- Lower the cost of electric power by providing fuel (steam) to power generators.
- Facilitate early generation of electricity through the provision of steam to KenGen and IPPs and thus ensure that electricity becomes available faster
- Undertake exploration, appraisal and production drilling in all fields in order to mitigate upfront risks associated with geothermal development that deter private sector participation.
- Attract capital for accelerated development by opening up opportunities for private sector participation
- To promote alternative uses of geothermal energy
- Build and enhance local human resource capacity for geothermal development
As part of our strategy, we will engage in early generation of electricity using portable modular power plants which can be commissioned within six months from the time a well is drilled. Through the Early Generation strategy, GDC aims at eventual budget sustainability.
In the next 10 years, we will carry out detailed surface exploration, drill wells and invest in wellhead generation units to achieve the planned 3000MW in the next 10 years.